Saturday, August 8, 2009

And then there were none.

7 Aug 2009

Today Emma started school!
We learned on Thursday, that the school made an exception and Emma will be starting kindergarten early. Although she doesn't turn 5 until the 30th of September! She is so excited! she woke up earlier than usual, even though she doesn't start class until 11 am. Jonna did her hair before she went to work at the school, then left with the other kids. All morning, every 10-15 minutes she would say " Is it time to go dad?" and I would reply "not yet!" "OK dad you count and tell me when it's time." When it was time to go, she brought her shoes to me and ask that I put them on her. She doesn't even have Velcro on her shoes anymore, nothing to remind me of what she is giving up. She passes that invisible line in the sand, never to look back and always to remember. She looks into my eyes and tells me "Daddy, I'm scared!" Not timidly, but, more matter of fact than I care to admit. My throat catches, and a tear wells. What a statement of profound trust and honesty. We talked of her teacher, her new school, and the love of her family, parents and father in heaven, and his love for her. She likely will not remember beyond today what has transpired between herself and her father, but then again, this was meant for me, a lesson for my time not hers.
I took her to school and Jonna met us in the nurses office. We three walked to her classroom to meet the teacher before class starts. She gets to see the playground and mingles with the other children her age. The bell rings and she lines up and is in the hall before we know it. And then she is gone. Another moment has past, one that goes unnoticed by her, another growing pain for dad.
I cried in the hall! I've never cried for any of my children starting school. It's the total role reversal. When Jonna was staying at home raising the kids it was she that cried whenever the kids reached a milestone. when I cried in the hall she laughed at me. what a turn of events. Jonna laughing and me crying! My little baby is off and I feel somewhat like a mother bird pushing their young out of the nest. Either "Fly or Fall"...She flew!!!

But that's just the Dads perspective.



2 comments:

  1. awwww! you made me cry! I'm so proud of your family Daryl. NO one can tell me that you have not done a fabulous job with your children. (or is that Jonna?.... tee hee j/k!) I love you bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you made me cry also. That really brought memories back for me and just reminds me how fast time flies, how fast they grow and how precious each moment is. Thanks for being you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete